Call Us: US - +1 845 478 5244 | UK - +44 20 7193 7850 | AUS - +61 2 8005 4826


DISSOLUTION (DIVORCE) / LEGAL SEPARATION / NULLITY (ANNULMENT)In California, there are several ways to end a marriage or domestic partnership: dissolution (more commonly know as divorce), legal separation, and nullity (also known as annulment). You will find information here that may help you decide which option is right for you and your partner; however you should also consider consulting with a family law attorney so that you are informed of your legal rights and the important legal issues in your case.

In a divorce or legal separation case, you can ask the judge for orders that may include child custody, visitation, child support, spousal/partner support, the division of assets and debts, and restraining orders.

After you are divorced, or the court grants an annulment, you will be single, and you can marry or become a domestic partner again. A legal separation does not end a marriage or domestic partnership.

A formal judgment signed by a judge and stating the date that your marriage or domestic partnership ends must be filed with the court before your case is final.